Thursday 10 October 2013

Face of the Day #1


I picked up brochures and orders for Avon the other day, so I thought a full Avon face was in order, well, nearly. Sorry about the baggy eyes and red flush in the photo at the bottom; I had to rush out the door after getting my face on, so this is after a few hours of walking around North Bristol. That and a particularly horrible (and by horrible I mean really lovely) friend of mine came for a visit last week and left behind her cold.

Here are the products I used:

FACE

Algenist Deep Wrinkle Minimizer - Okay, I'm the "Embrace your wrinkles!" type, but I've had this pesky smile line since forever that likes to catch all my makeup and become the centre of attention on my face. That's a no-no. So I picked this up from Space.NK to teach it a lesson, and boy does it! It doesn't make it go completely, but I'm cool with that.

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Part of my GWP (Goodie Bag) from the recent Space.NK event, I was really excited to try this out, as I think I've just started a close relationship with Laura Mercier as a brand. I mean, since when does a whole brand just look that good on one face? This is not a silicone primer, so it felt different going on and seemed to soak straight in. The Invisible coverage foundation didn't go on as smoothly as with my Garnier primer, but it's still even and stayed put for the rest of the day.

Avon Ideal Flawless Invisible Coverage (Page 60, in Golden) - I really like this foundation. You can really see the skin through it and it feels great on. I just wish I could wear it confidently when I'm not trying to demo the brand. Soon! My skin is improving on a daily basis!

Collection Illuminating Touch Concealer (naked) - As good as they say!

Seventeen Miracle Matte Concealer Crayon (light) - Annoyingly, I could only get this in light at the time, but if I put it on under foundation, it blends well and then I only have to put the tiniest touch on after. This blends and has great coverage, but doesn't stick to the dry patches. The fact that it's matte means that it downplays the bumps, helping to create the illusion of smoother skin.

CHEEKS

Sleek Face Contour Kit (light) - Yeah, okay, this is probably my area of least confidence. I've become increasingly embarrased about the fleshiness around my chin and cheeks, and I like to think that a little subtle contouring helps. I leave my forehead alone, but add shadow to the hollows of my cheeks, under the jawline and under the chin. I left the highlighting to another product:

Avon Ideal Luminous Highlighter - This isn't available this campaign, but why not try the Illuminating Face Pearls or Luminous Finish Face Illuminator on pages 60/61. It's a lovely highlighter, which I placed at the top of the cheek  and jaw bones, but it does have a slight glitter under strong light.

Max Factor Miracle Touch Creamy Blush in Soft Copper - When I bought this it went to the back of my stash, but I've recently heard it's a beauty favourite, so I dug it up for this look. Sadly, it's hard to tell the blusher from my natural flush in the pic below, but I do like the way it applies with my Real Techniques Stippling Brush and the colour is very natural, which is how I like it.


EYES

MUA Colour Blast Eyeshadow Tints in Stay and A Girl Like Me -  I use these as an inner corner highlighter and base, respectively. They go on really smoothly after warming up, and I've only seen my shadow crease once, after a very long day, when I use this as a base. Also, I think Stay is the best highlighter ever: not glittery or powdery, which irritates my eyes!

Avon True Colour Eyeshadow Duo in Healthy Glow - This colorway is only available in the Christmas Flyer (pages 18 & 19) in a giftset along with the clutch, lipstick, eyeliner and mascara in the photo above. The True Colour shadows are velvety and highly pigmented. There was no fallout and they blend like a dream. I really wanted this colourway because I tend to go with more natural eyeshadow and the colours really suit my skintone.

Avon Glimmerstick Eyeliner in Blackest Black, pg 17 - Not as black as I would like, but nice and creamy without smudging all over the place during application.

Avon SuperShock Mascara, pg 75 - This was my first go with a plastic brush and I've got no complaints, but I think I need to find some sort of mascara masterclass, because I can never seem to get on more than one coat without pulling out lashes and making it look worse. (Update: On second application, I discovered that it's best to refrain from wiggling the brush, and to roll the brush rather than blinking or pushing the brush through the lashes)  I have to admit, though, I haven't tried a lot of mascaras. Do you recommend any?

Laura Mercier Eyebrow Pencil in Brunette - I love the way this doesn't really draw on your browbone, but coats the little invisible hairs that really help make your eyebrows look elegant. I actually don't do much with my brows because otherwise they'll look a bit crazy. Just a little on the top edge and to elongate them to frame my face better.

LIPS

Laura Mercier Anti-feathering Lip Pencil in Plumberry - Best lip pencil I ever tried, honest. I gave them up ages ago because they all sucked. All of them. They smudged or were too hard, did nothing for feathering, were the wrong colour: they were evil. And then I met Laura Mercier, and Nina the makeup artist (heart!) at last week's SpaceNK event. These pencils are waxy, preventing feathering, but go on really smoothly. And Nina gave me the best tip ever: choose a pencil in your natural lip colour! I have issues with my lips going flesh-toned at the edges which makes it hard to convincingly draw an attractive lip line, but the pencil evened out the colour of my lips which make it a cinch for the lip line. I actually think this is one of my best and quickest lip jobs ever.

Avon Ultracolor Lipstick in Red 2000, pg 11 - Despite turning out to be a scarlet (I don't do pinky tones very well), I actually like this colour. Normally I prefer darker or more crimson and vermillion reds. Though i have to admit, it does rather match my lovely shade of flushed. Also this is a crazy nice formula. It's super creamy and comfortable even after a long day, not sticky, and lasts really long. I'll have to do a comparison wear test soon to show you what I mean. What creamy lipstick do you recommend that comes in a similar colour?

This is actually Lava Love on my lips here, which again looks like a great orangey-red on the stick, but more like a watermelon red on my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...