Thursday 24 October 2013

Headline Colours

So I just subscribed to Love Me Beauty box (used to be Beauteco Box) last month using a voucher code from Miss Budget Beauty (heart), and got two extra products with my first box. 

Btw, I'm totally proud of myself for the way I convinced my hubby getting the box would be a good idea. It went something like, "But honey, I'm going to want to buy new stuff all the time anyway, see, but this way it's guaranteed to only cost £10 per month plus shipping! And I'll get loads of full sized stuff, not just samples, and easy cool high end stuff I wouldn't otherwise get my hands on. Yeah, it'll save even more money because I will get to try lots of stuff and not have to buy things I won't like. And... AND, if I sign up for a whole year, it'll cost LESS than £10 with shipping! Isn't that awesome?"

Anyway, one of the extras was a full sized bottle of the newly international nail polish/varnish brand, Headline Colors, in the colour Glamour. Although I find the premise of the brand appealing, my overall feelings are mixed.

Glamour is the gold shade in the spring/summer 2013 collection (the brand differentiates itself by only releasing new colours in small limited edition collections inspired by runway trends), and I think I'm in love. 

Pick some up!

This is the best representation of a metallic I've ever seen. The yellow hue is the closest to real gold, and they don't use a glitter, it's a pearl! Probably due to my typically contrary nature, I'm not a huge fan of sparkly things. Look at my wedding ring to see what I mean.

If you don't understand why I think this is so special, ponder this: when was the last time you saw gold sparkle? Probably never, unless it was cut worth facets to resemble jewels, but that's another thing. Last time I looked, my gold pieces shined, glowed, maybe even shimmered. The pearl finish of this polish absolutely shines without the gaudy sparkle, and with a good coat of Seche Vite the stuff really looks like molten gold poured on my nails Game of Thrones style, without all the tacky screaming and death. 

It lasts an average amount of time on my nails without chipping badly. (I don't like to say exactly how long because I never seem to get as much wear out of polishes that other people claim, not even in the best ones) I just wish they would do something about their packaging and the UK pricing. I think they source their packaging from the same place Hello Kitty does, and at £9 this brand costs more than both Essie and Sally Hanson. I'm just not sure it's worth it. 

My judgement? Pounce if you can get a deal or you have the money to burn. Otherwise I think Butter London is just as fashion forward and 3 free, but without the gimmicky runway thing. I think there's a reason why nail colours have their own trends; One of the other colours in this collection is a gunmetal grey. For spring and summer. Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...